Home » Legal news » How do I file a complaint against a real estate agency?

How do I file a complaint against a real estate agency?

How do I file a complaint against a real estate agency?

If you are looking for a house to buy, if you want to sell your own house, warehouse, premises, building, apartment or land, the best thing to do is to entrust the matter to a real estate agency. They are experts in the field and they are able to advise you, inform you, guide you in order to make your project a success.

But it can happen that the collaboration does not go as planned. Are you planning to file a complaint against a real estate agency? How to proceed ?

The obligations of a real estate agency

You may have used a real estate negotiator, a real estate agent, a property manager, a real estate sales agent or any other real estate expert. Whatever your status, owner wishing to rent or sell his property, buyer looking for his dream home, during transactions, it may happen that disputes arise between you and the agency.

Do you feel that you are being exploited, that there is some malicious act on the part of the agency or one of its employees? Know first that a real estate agency has obligations towards its clients, among other things to inform you about the nature and characteristics of a sale.

The agency is precisely under the obligation to respect the mandate concluded and signed by the two parties. She is not required to sell, but she must make every effort to achieve this and if you find that she is taking too long to close a sale, you have the right to break the contract between you. It must also give you the appropriate advice in relation to your property and gather all the information necessary for the success of the sale. Finally, an agency must precisely mention the costs of each of its services in the contract.

What are your recourses in the event of a dispute with a real estate agency?

The first thing to know is that you have every right to turn against an agency if it fails to meet its obligations. So, check beforehand that the fault is indeed that of the agency because it is only on this condition that you can claim damages. Obviously, the best thing is to first find an amicable solution and very often, that is enough because no agency wants to be taken to court, it would harm its image. To do this, write a registered letter to the director of the agency and detail the latter's obligations and how you feel aggrieved, with supporting evidence.

If this process does not succeed, various remedies are possible. In this case, call on a mediator to ensure that your rights will be respected and he or she has 90 days to respond to your request. Otherwise, opt for legal action. You will then have 5 years to make the referral. Depending on the amount in question, contact the competent court: the local court or the court. At this point, contact a lawyer in real estate law.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also read

Leave comments

Your email address will not be published.